It’s that time of year for extra traveling for vacation & sightseeing. Please be aware of your surroundings .
Move Over, Slow Down
Do you know about Indiana’s Move over Laws?
To protect emergency and highway personnel, Indiana law requires motorists to approach cautiously when an emergency vehicle is stopped on two or four lane roadways with emergency lights flashing.
Change lanes away from the emergency vehicle if you can do so safely. If not, reduce your speed 10 mph under the posted speed limit and proceed with caution. Motorists should NOT STOP in the roadway, this may cause a chain reaction rear end collision with other vehicles. Do MOVE OVER and/or SLOW DOWN. As you are driving, plan well ahead by watching for these vehicles:
- Police vehicles
• Fire trucks and rescue equipment
• Highway incident-response vehicles
• Highway maintenance vehicles
• Utility service vehicles (effective July 1, 2010)
• Vehicle recovery equipment (tow trucks)Violating the law can result in a fine and your license will be suspended up to 2 years if you cause damage to emergency equipment, injury or death to an emergency worker.
Even though Indiana’s Move Over Laws state that motorists must move over and yield for only emergency vehicles, drivers should always be courteous to those who are broken down on the shoulder. Give them room so that they can safely repair their vehicles. Be a courteous driver and help prevent tragedies.